BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dirty Little Secret

***NOTE: Thanks to anonymous for correcting my mistake! Obviously, I shouldn't go into anything involving Drugs if I go into Forensics. Thanks again and sorry about the mistake!***

"What?" I exclaimed. I was so loud that a couple of people looked over at where we were standing. He put a hand over my mouth and shushed me.

"Do you want everyone to know?" he asked, annoyed. The bell rang, signaling that it was time to go to class. "We'll talk later. Meet me at my car." He walked away as I stared at him with my mouth hanging wide open.

How could it be possible that Haylie was doing drugs? She didn't have any of the clear signs of a user. She looked a little worn out, but I had assumed that it was due to cramming for finals. Am I that ignorant?

**********************************************

"Tell me everything," I said to Adam. He took a deep breath. Adam looked so nervous, his fingers were absentmindedly tapping against the steering wheel. He was reluctant to speak. He knew how I felt about drugs. It was a deal breaker for me. My view of Haylie had instantly changed the minute I found out. I wanted to slap her for being so stupid.

"I had gone over to her house a couple days ago," he said. "I opened the door with my key and I let myself in. The second I stepped foot into her house, I knew. I knew she was smoking pot. Her house reeked of it."

"How did she get it?" I asked him. My body felt completely numb. I didn't know what else to say. I was still getting over the initial shock. It was like I didn't know who Haylie Conner is. She wasn't the girl I thought she was.

"I don't know," he said. "I took her out to dinner. At the place where you saw us. It was perfect. It was intimate. No one would overhear our conversation and Haylie couldn't cause a scene. I asked her why she was smoking pot." He paused.

"She said that it relaxes her," he continued. "It helps her deal with the whole Steve situation and being alone."

I didn't know what to say to that. I bursted into tears. Adam pulled me into his arms.

"Don't cry," he said, softly. "I hate seeing you cry." I sniffled.

"What else is she doing?" I managed to say. I had my face buried in his shirt.

"She admitted to taking prescription drugs," he said. "She said she tried Ecstasy. I'm worried that she's going to start the hard stuff. Cocaine, crack cocaine, heroin, meth."

Hearing Adam say that made me cry harder. I didn't want Haylie to become a drug addict. She had such a bright future ahead of her. She's only in high school. There's still prom, the senior trip, graduation, summer, college. There's still college!

"What do we do?" I mumbled into his shirt.

"I was talking to her and she says she has no intentions of giving it up," he said.

He had stopped talking. I looked up and saw that he was looking out the window. I saw what he was staring at. Haylie was standing in the parking lot smoking a cigarette. I couldn't believe she was just standing there, smoking. She was looking around, making sure that no one saw her. I threw the passenger door open and marched over. I saw Adam shaking his head out of the corner of my eye. I tapped on Haylie's shoulder and she jumped 5 feet into the air.

"Oh, it's just you, Court," she said, breathing a sigh of relief. "Are you ok? Have you been crying?"

"Don't give me that crap, I know your secret," I told her.

She was speechless.

3 comments:

K said...

Why is it that Adam is always the one with all of the info, seems a little fishy, if you ask me

mum said...

I agree, Karen. I don't trust Adam at all! mum

Jayjay0jt said...

Anonymous- whoops.. Sorry! I was studying for my forensics final when I was writing this. I meant to say Ecstasy. I'm in the middle of finals week and I'm a little out of it right now. I'll get on that one. Thanks! :)

Karen & Mum- It is completely understandable that it's weird that Adam is always the one with information, but I know some people who are just clueless about their surroundings. Maybe he's one of those people who are aware of the people around him?