BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 26, 2009

It's a ...

It was the crack of dawn when I had arrived at Sarah's house with Haylie and the pregnancy test. I couldn't believe that this was happening. I couldn't believe that Sarah could be pregnant. I mean, she's so young, she has her whole future ahead of her.

The three of us sat on her bed in silence. We were worried what the test would say. What if it came out positive? What would Sarah do? Would she keep the baby? Would she have an abortion? Would she give it up for adoption? How would she tell Justin?

"Have you thrown up since the dance?" Haylie asked Sarah suddenly. Sarah shook her head.

"No, that was the only time," She replied. "I didn't realize that my period was more than two weeks late."

"Well, sweetie, just go in when you're ready," I said. Sarah sighed.

"I'm ready," she said. "I really have to pee anyways." We laughed with her. We knew that she was trying to lighten the mood. This couldn't be easy on her. I'm sure she had a million of what-ifs floating in her mind. She came out two minutes later.

"How long do we have to wait?" Haylie asked.

"It says that we have to wait 3 minutes," I said. We sat around in a circle on the ground with the test in the middle. It was the longest three minutes of my life.

"What are you going to do, sweetie, if you are?" Haylie asked.

"I don't know," Sarah said. "I'd have to talk to Justin first. I have a complicated stand on abortion and I'm not sure what the future would hold if I had the baby."

She did have a really complicated stand on abortion. She believed that women do have the right to have an abortion, but she didn't know if she could personally go through with something like that. She believe that it was murdering a child, but women need to have the right to decide- it's their body. But I don't think that she could ever have an abortion. She would feel guilty for the rest of her life.

"I mean, people at school will be talking about me behind my back," she continued. "They'll say horrible things about me. They'll spread rumors. What if Justin leaves me because of this?"

"Honey, you're being ridiculous," I said. "You and Justin have been together so long that he can't possibly leave you."

"He loves you!" Haylie exclaims. "You know that!"

"I know," Sarah said. "Sometimes I think that the only reason that we're still together is because it's easy. We love each other too much to break up. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

We didn't know what to say to that. It was a sad thought to have. Sarah and Justin have been the perfect couple for years and it's difficult for me to see that they're just human beings. It's hard for me to see that even their relationship has problems and cracks. We were silent after that.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

It was the alarm that I had set. The three minutes were up. Sarah picked up the test and stared at it.

"One line means you're not pregnant and two means that you are," I said, reading the box.

"What does it say?" Haylie asked. We were both bracing ourselves because we knew there was a chance that she could be pregnant.

"Guys," she said. She took a deep breath. "I'm not pregnant."

Haylie and I couldn't have been more happier for Sarah. It was a big sigh of relief. It was like she dodged a bullet. We were chalking her fiasco in the bathroom to bad seafood that she had eaten prior to the dance. We were literally jumping for joy.

3 comments:

Nic said...

Yay she's not pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Glad she's not preggers!!!!! That would be hard to deal with at such a young age. Good job!

Jayjay0jt said...

It's crazy. I recently met a woman at my JC and she's 19 years old with two young kids (3 years old and one that's 2 months). Her husband is in jail for conspiracy and she has to raise the little ones by herself for the time being (with the help of her mother). I really applaud her for her persistance. She's putting herself through school so her kids can have a better future. :)