BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Graduation (Part III)

After the ceremony, I calmly walked outside, trying to pretend that I didn't notice anything. It was hard to keep the excitement of having just graduated when your ex-boyfriend, who hasn't said one word to you since the two of you had broken up, shows up at your graduation and declares his love for you. I sighed and put on my best "happy" face and searched for the table that held my real, official diploma.

"Courtney, over here!" I looked up and saw Brittany waving at me to come over. She had found a table that was labeled A to F. I gave her a celebratory hug before standing in the chaotic mess of a line of newly-grads. I finally made my way up to the front of the line after about 20 minutes of pushing, shoving, and elbowing.

Once I received my envelope that contained my diploma, I made my way to the open grassy area where the rest of the graduating class of 2010 stood, looking for their families. I had somehow found Henry in the crowd and waved at him.

"Courtney!" he yelled as he ran up to hug me. "We're high school graduates!"

"I know!" I exclaimed, excitedly. "College, here we come!" I laughed. Henry had that look in his eye, like he was going to kiss me. I felt someone grab my arm and I quickly turned around to see who it was.

Taylor.

I looked at Henry and saw the color drain from his face. He must have seen the sign Taylor was holding during the ceremony. It was pretty hard to miss. I shot Henry an apologetic look.

"Courtney, can I talk to you?" Taylor asked me. He looked at Henry. "Alone?"

"Whatever you want to say to me, you can say in front of Henry," I told him. Henry put an arm around me, protectively. I smiled at him gratefully for the gesture. I looked at Taylor with a look that could kill. "Why are you here?"

"What are you talking about? he asked, acting surprised. "I go to school here." He smiled at me, trying to get me to stop glaring at him. I wasn't having any of it.

"Cut the crap, Taylor," I snapped at him. "I'm going to ask you again, why are you here?"

"I want you back, Court," he admitted. I felt Henry stiffen. "I made a mistake."

How dare he? How dare he try to come back out of nowhere and tell me that he wants me back? He hasn't spoken to me since our break up and I tried so hard not to think about him. A wave of hurt and anger washed over me.

Of course, to make the situation even better, I saw Logan walk up to us.

"Hey, Court, congratulations!" he said, practically pushing Henry aside to give me an awkward hug. When he pulled away from out hug, he saw Taylor. "You. What's he's doing here, Courtney?"

"I want her back," Taylor said, answering for me. "I'm here to get back together with her."

"Tough luck, man," Logan said. "She's my girl."

"You're delusional!" Taylor exclaimed at the same time Henry said "Wait, what?"

"Whoa whoa whoa, I'm not your girl," I told Logan. I turned to Henry, trying to explain the situation. "Logan and I had a friends with benefits thing going on, but it's over. There's no strings attached, no feelings, nothing." I pointed that last part to Logan.

"So, you're just going to get back together with this guy?" Logan asked, jerking his thumb at Taylor. "He's an idiot for not choosing you over that other chick!"

"You're an idiot for cheating on her with her best friend!" Taylor shot back.

"Who are you calling an idiot?" Logan spat in his face, growing angry.

"You!" Taylor spat back.

I don't know who threw the first punch, but before I could even blink, I saw Taylor and Logan wrestling on the ground, each trying to get their punches in. I saw a flock of teachers run over here and broke up the fight, taking them both away from the scene.

I turned back to where Henry was standing and saw that there was no one standing beside me.

2 comments:

mum said...

And I thought mom and the boy-toy were gonna cause drama...jeesh! Where the heck is Henry? Hopefully he went to get the car and he and Court are gonna head to the beach! mum

Stephanie said...

Who needs momma drama when you have ex drama...and boy does she have some ex drama. Taylor is a flip-flopping douche and Logan is a cheater. I think I'd follow Henry's example and walk away...hopefully to track down Henry and explain.