BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Something New

What Logan said had gotten me thinking. It seemed to me that everyone around me was growing up and dealing with adult responsibilities. It made me feel like a little kid compared to them. Logan and Haylie were having a baby and Justin and Sarah were getting married in the summer. It doesn't make any sense, I know, but I really feel like I'm left out of everything. It doesn't mean that I'm going to get engaged anytime soon or get knocked up, but I could start moving into that direction of being an adult.

Also, I felt really guilty that Taylor had been paying for all of our dates so far. I had also felt uncomfortable when I was with Logan, where he paid for most of our dates. I want it to be equal because I don't want Taylor to go broke for me. Well, he's broke already since he just paid for all of his books for college, I don't want him to become more broke. After much consideration, I reached the decision that it was time for me to get a job.

I had spent all day walking around town asking if the stores were hiring. Most places looked at me like I was crazy. I got a lot of "sorry, but we're not hiring" from various managers. I think I've only filled out one or two applications.

Surprisingly, I had gotten a call back from a small clothing store, called Bella, a couple of days after I had applied. Sarah was nice enough to help me prepare for my job interview. She was a lifesaver, who gave me some awesome tips.

"Dress for success," she had told me while searching through my closet for something professional to wear. "Always wear a watch because it shows that you're great at time management."

I nodded while I jotted the things down. She gave me some other great tips like how not to fall for the trick questions on those 100 something questions on the survey the employers give you, how to ace the interview, how to avoid potholes during the interview process- Sarah's amazing.

On the day of the interview, I put on the professional outfit that Sarah had laid out for me. It consisted of a ruffled blouse and a pencil skirt. I had my hair neatly curled and slid into my heels. I kept my accessories down to a minimum. I only had on a necklace that I had gotten from their store. I made my way over to the store twenty minutes early.

"Hi, Courtney," the manager, Jasmine, greeted me. She was really friendly and inviting the last time I spoke to her. Today, she looked slightly stressed out. "You're here early. I have a lot of interviews to get through, can you wait in my office with the other applicants, please?"

"No problem, Jasmine," I told her.

I went to the back office and peeked inside to see the other applicants. To my surprise, Haylie was sitting in one of the applicant chairs.

2 comments:

mum said...

Dum, dum, dum.....her first interaction with Haylie. Will they politely ignore each other? Can't wait to find out. mum

Stephanie said...

Ouch. Talk about uncomfortable. I can't wait to find out what happens either.