BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 5, 2010

Fast-Talking Friday

Hey guys!

How has your week been going?

Quite frankly, I don't know what to write about. I am deeply saddened by the two recent earthquakes we had in Chile and Taiwan and still upset about the one in Haiti. I'm also worried that another earthquake is going to hit another country in the near future. What were the odds that three earthquakes would happen in such a short time apart? My thoughts are with those who live in Haiti, Chile, and Taiwan.

I really want to talk about something that really upset me. It was something my friend posted on facebook the day of the Chile earthquake, "It's pretty normal for Chile to have a huge earthquake, just take Geology. lol.", and then she goes on to justify that an 8.8 earthquake can happen here too (in California because of the huge fault line) and that it was bound to happen & it shouldn't be too hard to believe.

I don't know. So many people were going against her and saying.. NO. It is a BIG deal because the earthquake is so big and it caused so much destruction and it caused deaths. She didn't really listen to any reasoning and she basically ignored everyone else's opinions. I feel like I had to get that off my chest. It's been bothering me for awhile that she can't bare to hear the truth and that I have to watch what I say around her because I know that she can't handle the truth.

Anyways, back to my point. It really irked me that she didn't feel sympathetic towards the earthquake. I know we're entitled to our own opinions and reactions, but I just wish that she watches what she posts on facebook. She kept saying that everyone is making it a bigger deal than it is. The Chile earthquake went down as one of the top ten earthquakes in history (I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere). I guess there's nothing I can do to change her mind because she really didn't want to hear my opinion or why her comment irked me or why people were "ganging up" on her.

So, if you guys have any comments on the whole facebook situation or on any of the earthquakes, please post. Either way, have an muy bueno Friday. :)

2 comments:

DDgirl said...

Well of course it IS "normal" that earthquakes hit some regions and not some others.

This doesn't make it less dramatic and tragic for poor people hit by such horrible things!!!

Yeah, it's geology. But then again, if you were born in Chile, it's not like you went seeking a risk: you just happened to live in the wrong place at the wrong time!

So of course there is science, and then there is empathy and helping others.

I 2009 a bad earthquake hit center Italy, and even though the country is going through a rough economic patch, I'm proud to say that the rest of the country donated so much that most people who lost their houses had a brand new one built thanks to the money of charity.

In short, mean people are a minority. It's just easier to notice them then those who help and stay quiet.

Jayjay0jt said...

I know, it just really bugged me that she could say something that horrible and not feel sympathy for those in Chile.

But you're right that there is the science behind it and then there's the empathy.

Hopefully, everyone in the world will come together like they did for Italy and for Haiti. :)