BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 15, 2010

State of Shock

The next couple days were awkward. Haylie was brushing me off. I had grown used to having her follow me around and, now, all hopes of rekindling our friendship had gone up in smoke. She didn't have to say all those things about me and I had tried to apologize for "outing" her in front of Cody and Zoey, but she wouldn't listen to me.

On top of that, Cody was acting extremely weird. When I tried to talk to him, he would just mumble one word answers or say "excuse me" and walk away. When he was scheduled to work with Haylie, he would stay all the way across the store doing something else. He would find an excuse to be away from her. "Go backs? I'll do them!", "Bring out stock? You got it!", "Dust the fixtures? Great!", I think Jasmine is sensing that something was up.

Surprisingly, Zoey and I were becoming friends. It turns out that she's actually a really cool person with a really weird sense of humor. I was chatting with her yesterday before I got off of work and I thought she was amazing. She's a first year at Beachside University majoring in Psychology. I was surprised to learn that she is the night manager of Bella and has been working here since she was 16.

"So, I'm sorry that I was rude during orientation," Zoey said with guilt written all over her face.

"Oh, it's ok, no worries," I said, sincerely. We had talked about what happened with Cody and Haylie and I wasn't sure if we should report them to Jasmine or not. I didn't want anyone to get fired because of me.

Then I saw Taylor pulling up to pick me up for our one-month anniversary date. We had planned a nice evening cuddling on the couch and watching a movie or two. We didn't want to put an emphasis on this anniversary because anniversaries are just not the same the second time around (the little anniversaries). I was extremely happy that I was required to wear cute clothes to work and that I didn't have to go home and change. I clocked out and waved bye to Zoey.

Today I walked into work with a smile on my face. The first person I saw was Zoey with her long brown hair tied up in a ponytail. She smiled at me.

"I'm guessing you had a good anniversary," she said, winking. I laughed.

"Yes, it was nice to spend time together," I told her, smiling. I suddenly remembered that Zoey was really angry with Cody the other day. "If you don't mind me asking, why were you so angry at Cody?"

Zoey was silent. I looked up from my work and saw that Zoey looked incredibly uncomfortable. I thought I saw a couple of tears in her gorgeous brown eyes. I instantly regretted even asking her the question. I had to backtrack and fix this.

"I'm sorry I asked," I told her, quickly. "Don't worry about it. You don't have to answer. I'm sorry I upset you."

"It's just embarrassing to talk about," she said, her voice quavering. "Um, Cody and I used to be together."

3 comments:

mum said...

Kind of figured that. Haylie is amazing. She goes from lashing out and bragging to Court, to being tearful and the victim, and Court trying to apologize for outting her. That girl is a master manipulator

Stephanie said...

Haylie is one twisted sister that's for sure. She was all smug when she came out of the back room after doing Cody. Now she is playing the victim. Seems she only plays the victim when she does something wrong and wants people to feel sorry for her instead of calling her out on her skeezy bahavior.

And Cody sounds like a real dog.

Jayjay0jt said...

Mum & Stephanie- I don't think that Haylie understands that she did something wrong. She didn't seem at all concerned that she had a boyfriend atm or about getting caught (I mean, come on, you're bound to get caught, at work and during in the stockroom where people might walk in at anytime?) and just thinking that Court is just jealous of her when Courtney is just trying to get Haylie to see that she's in the wrong here. So, I'm not sure if she's playing the victim if she doesn't know what she did is wrong.