BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

There Are No Words

Adam hadn't texted me back. I wasn't going to worry about it. The most important thing was that I reached out and tried to get our friendship back to normal. If he wasn't going to make an effort, that was fine. I had much more important things to do than to stress over whether or not he was going to text me back.

I realized that I've been working too hard lately. It was really difficult to balance school, work, and being in a relationship. Taylor was being really amazing and patient with me, but I'm not sure how long that patience would last. I tried to make it up to him by suggesting that I take Spring Break off from work so we could spend some much needed time together. He jumped at the idea in a heartbeat.

I pulled out a big envelope out of my backpack and stared at it. I pulled out the official-looking paper that told me that I had been accepted to Beachside University. I've been hiding the envelope for a couple of weeks, I haven't told anyone the news yet. I wanted to sort out my mixed feelings before I told anyone. I'm not sure if college is right for me anymore.

Going to school and hearing people talk about which college they got into and where they wanted to go was nerve racking for me. All of the people I've talked to were really excited to leave home, live on-campus, and experience the college life. Every time someone talked about college, I would clam up and slink into the background.

I sighed and hid the envelope once again. It was a good thing because mere seconds later, Brittany barged into my room.

"Hey, sis, Mom and Dad want to have a family meeting," she told me.

"Any idea why?" I asked her. She shook her head no. "How weird, must be important."

We went downstairs and sat down in the living room, waiting for my parents to talk to us. We didn't have to wait too long before my parents walked in, my mom carrying a plate of chocolate chip cookies. I instantly knew that this was going to be bad. She only brought cookies to the family meetings where there was going to be bad news.

I remember when I was five, my mom told me that our goldfish Bubbles died. When I was 12, my mom told me that my parents had decided to go into business and they would have to start spending less time at home. When I was 14, my mom told me that we might be moving to Las Vegas. Thank goodness that never happened. Cookies during a family meeting was a bad thing.

Brittany noticed the cookies also and shot me a look. I shrugged my shoulders and grabbed a cookie. She reluctantly took one also.

"Girls, your dad and I have some news," my mom said, looking at my dad to continue. She looked unsure of whether or not to tell us.

"I'm not sure how to tell you girls this, but your mom and I are separating," he said with an incredible look of sadness on his face.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh man that really sucks. I really hope they can work out whatever is going on.

mum said...

Wow. That came from out of nowhere. Is this fiction, or a combination? Just curious. mum

Jayjay0jt said...

Stephanie- It really does suck.

Mum- I felt that too much of the blog was going on at work, so I provided some of it at home.

I'm also trying to bring up the point that teenagers are too engrossed in their own lives to realize the problems that their parents have (either at work, in their marriage, or financially). So it does seem like it came out of nowhere. :)

This is my wishful thinking, well.. a little bit of both, I guess.. It'll make me seem like a horrible person, but in my family, my parents do not get along with each other. They haven't gotten along for more than a week without fighting for the last 18 years. I've been told all my life that my dad is going to seperate with my mom when my brother turns 18 and the only reason why he's staying is because my brother and I need a mother. So, I will be extremely happy to see my parents seperate (we don't believe in divorces) because I know that my dad will be a million times happier without the constant bickering and shouting matches. I know that makes me seem like an ungrateful daughter, but my dad has diabetes and high blood pressure and it scares me everytime they argue because I don't know what MIGHT go wrong. Sadly enough, I'm so used to this chaos. The only difference is, now, I'm not afraid to break up their arguments.

But yes, it's a little bit of both. :)