BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 29, 2010

New York, New York

My jaw dropped. I thought I had heard her wrong because she couldn't have possibly said New York. New York as in The Big Apple. New York as in the state that is almost 3,000 miles away from California. New York as in the New York that is all the way on the other side of the country. Yeah, she couldn't have possibly said New York.

"New York?" I asked her. "Why are you in New York?" I heard her sigh.

"It's a long story," she told me.

"I have time," I told her. Henry poked his head into the hotel room right when I said that. "Hold on one second." I put the phone against my body.

"Hey, are you coming?" Henry asked me. He saw that I was on the phone. "Who are you talking to?"

"Sarah," I said to him. He gave me a look as if to say "what?". "I know. I think you and Justin should go without me. I want to talk to Sarah for a bit."

"Ok, I'll bring you back something," he said to me. "I don't want you to pass out from hunger." I smiled at how sweet he was. He came in and give me a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving the room. He made sure to close the door behind him.

"Hey, I'm back," I said into the phone. "So why are you in New York? Why did you leave Justin?"

"I love Justin, I do, Courtney," she said. "I mean, I don't know how to put this. I don't know how to say this in words and actually make it make sense. It's complicated."

I don't think I can say that I know what she's going through and that I understood what she was feeling, but I wish that she'd just try to talk it out. Maybe if she had talked it out with me then this whole leaving Justin at the alter thing wouldn't have happened. I wanted her to make me understand what was going on inside her mind.

"Please try?" I pleaded with her. She took a deep breath.

"Justin and I have been together for so many years, Courtney," she said. "We know each other inside and out. We're so comfortable around each other and we can tell each other anything."

"So far I'm not really seeing a problem here," I said to her.

"I know," she said. "But I don't know, I feel like we're in a rut. We've become so predictable. When we're not in school, we're working. After we get off of work, we would hang out at his house and watch a movie. If we're not at his house watching a movie, then we're out to dinner at the burger joint. It gets boring after awhile, you know what I mean?" I started to nod, but I realized that she couldn't see me.

"Yes, I know what you mean, Sarah," I said to her. "But that's when you suggest new things to do. You know, try out a new restaurant? Go hiking? Go to a park for a picnic?"

"I did!" she exclaimed. "We did all those things. I thought that I could marry him and then everything would be ok. But then I asked myself, can I do this for the rest of my life? And I couldn't."

"Oh," I said.

"I just got bored of him," Sarah continued. "It doesn't mean that I don't love him, because I do, but I just don't look forward to spending time with him anymore."

"Maybe you shouldn't be explaining this to me, but to Justin," I told her.

"No, I can't," she said. "I mean, I'm in New York now."

"Why are you there?" I exclaimed.

"There was this guy in one of my clubs," Sarah said. "His name's Sean. We've been hanging out for awhile now and we're really close. We're not dating or anything because I was with Justin. Now that Justin and I are over.. Well, I guess you could say that Sean and I are together. He's going to New York University and he asked me to come with him to New York. So, I did and we're moving in together... In New York. Actually, we just signed the lease today."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!! That's very low-life of Sarah! She didn't even have the decency to break up properly with Justin before jumping into another relationship...But what goes around, comes around...
Btw, great post!

Nic said...

What?! She isn't willing to marry the guy she's been with her whole life. You'd think she would take things slow if she'd meet someone new. If this relationship is moving this fast, who doesn't say she's married to the guy in a few months.

Love your writing.

btw forgot to vote for the zodiac sign poll: Sagittarius

mum said...

I get where she's coming from about why not to marry Justin, but what a coward's way out. All the talking she does to Courtney she should be doing with Justin. I think she's afraid Justin will persuade her to stay with him. But to move across the county and move in with a guy you barely know, and you don't know anyone else in town, very scary. mum

Alicia said...

sigh, there's so many things that i want to say about sarah right now, but i'll sum it down to the fact tthat she's an idiot. She left everything at her house and she's basically moving in with a guy with nothing. she didn't apply to NYU so she won't be in school. she doesn't have a job and she's going to be completely dependent on a guy that she only knows through her club.
I mean i get what she's saying about being in a rut with justin, but isn't that what a relationship is? she has definitely moved onto my dislike list.

I can't say I dislike her for moving on so fast (there's nothing wrong with that other than the fact she didn't talk to anyone that matters about moving on) because Justin is having his pity-party with strangers. Ahh what a kerblasterfuck this has turned out to be.

azulkrema said...

Wow i go on vacation for 2 weeks and come back to find Justin heart broken and Sarah heartless......I would of expected Haylie to do something like this if not worse but Sarah?? Not really........i totally agree with EVERYONES comments on this

Stephanie said...

I cna understand her reasoning in not wanting to get married...She should have just have said something instead of running away and hurting a man who she has loved for years.

Sad that Sarah is willing to give up EVERYTHING (friends, family, school, JUSTIN, etc.)but couldn't find the courage to be honest.

Have a feeling Sarah is going to end up getting heartbroken and alone. She used to be one of my favorites but she is right there with Haylie on the dislike list.